1. Gravity (Warner Bros) WBPI $55.5m (NE)
2. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 (Sony) SPRI $21.5m ($60.6m) (1)
3. Runner Runner (Fox) Fox Int’l $7.6m (NE)
4. Prisoners (Warner Bros-Alcon) Lionsgate International $5.7m ($47.9m) (2)
5. Rush (Universal) Exclusive Media $4.4m ($18.1m) (3)
Alfonso Cuarón’s ‘Gravity’ made a flying start at the North American weekend box office, exceeding market expectations by $15m to set a new October record. Cashing in on an awards buzz, strong reviews and an ‘A-’ CinemaScore from first night audiences, the Venice opener finished the three days on a massive $55.5m to beat the previous October record holder ‘Paranormal 3’ by $3.5m. Both of the film’s leads, George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, achieved their best ever openings.
It was a disastrous session for the other wide weekend opener, ‘Runner Runner’, starring Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck. Brad Furman’s crime thriller stumbled to an atrocious $7.6m being $2.4m below already low market expectations.
Last weekend’s No. 1, ‘Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2’, split the two openers to finish in second place. Sony’s family animation grossed a reasonable $21.5m, taking its revised running total to 60.6m after two weekends in play.price of cialis in canada cialis for sale uk cialis price philippines buying cialis online legal